By now you know that exercise is good for you, and that you should do something on a regular basis. When is the best time to exercise? Anytime! Make time to stay healthy. Exercise is the best thing you can do for yourself. Is one time better than another to exercise? It’s really up to you. You can exercise in the morning, afternoon or evening. Lunch breaks offer an excellent opportunity to get out of the office and exercise. Use your coffee break to take a short walk around the office or outside around the block. Get rid of the day’s stress by fitting exercise in after work. Whatever time you chose, make sure you stick with it. For some people it is easier to stay with an exercise program when you do it with a friend, partner or co-worker. Accountability is very important!
Once you decide that exercise is an important time in you life, you need to figure out how to make it happen. An important part of maintaining a fitness program is to recognize that you can exercise anywhere and anytime.
Here are a few ways you can exercise without even knowing it:
1) Park your car farther away. The more steps you take during the day, the more exercise you’re getting.
2) Go dancing. You would be surprised how many calories dancing can burn.
3) Participate in a charity walk or bike ride. There are several here in the Black Hills and most cater to all fitness levels.
4) Play with your kids. Trying to keep up with them is sure to burn calories while having fun!
5) Take the stairs. If possible, walk up the stairs at work or your home.
6) Stretch. Take five to ten minutes a day to stretch. Stretching relieves stress and burns fat.
7) Do some chores. Shoveling snow, working in the garden, raking leaves, cleaning your car… these kinds of activities may not be vigorous exercise, but they can keep you moving while getting your life in order.
Finally – reap the benefits of making some time for fitness. Maintaining your fitness routine will allow you a bit of time for yourself. Even 20-30 minutes of exercise a day will help remind you that your health and well-being is important, and that YOU are important.
Remember: Your health is truly priceless…so don’t stop investing in it!